Monday, June 27, 2016

The M3D Micro Transforms a Hotel Room into an Idea Room.

I have traveled with 3D printers many times over the past 3 years.  But, none were more suitable for travel than the M3D Micro 3D printer.  It's small and extremely quiet.  This allows me to create projects in response to the needs of my classes without fear of annoying my neighbors in adjacent rooms... or, my wife in the same room, which is even MORE important!

I know the quality of this video is very poor on several counts.  First, hotel rooms are generally darker than video cameras like.  Secondly, I had some issues trying to upload it to YouTube so I simply used the Blogger uploader which degrades the image further.

But, I could not resist the opportunity to demonstrate how one can set up a complete 3D workstation with scanning, design and printing on a small hotel desk, using a tablet having Intel's Real Sense and the M3D Micro 3D printer.  So, I hope you'll overlook the technical quality and concentrate on the wonderful ability of the M3D Micro 3D printer to turn any hotel room into a true Idea Room!


video

As seen in the video, the size of the filament spools is an important factor for concluding that the Micro is THE perfect travel 3D printer.  While the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Cube printers could be carried on road trips, the size of the filament cartridges limited the number and variety of filament that could accompany it on the trip.  The size of the M3D spools allows them to be easily stored in commonly available air-tight containers.  Don't throw away the silica moisture protection bags that come with each spool.  Include them in the air-tight container to fully protect the filament from moisture damage.

If you have a food dehydrator, it can be used to refresh, or recharge, the silica bags so they can be used and reused for a long, long time.

Convenient traveling is just one more asset that makes the M3D Micro a wonderful tool to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment