Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Why the "Idea Room" theme for this blog?

Idea Rooms have been with us since the first artists decided to work in a studio.  If we tour historic home of highly creative thinkers, the library, filled with books and a writing desk always seem to be a central part of the owner's life.

The more advanced ancient cities had libraries holding vast collections of writings available for contemporary thinkers to probe past thinkers for inspiration.

And, of course, it's hard to image a school without a library or media center.

All of these spaces are places where ideas can be born and flourish.  But, these days, they are not the only places where creativity can be sparked and nurtured.  Based on my observations in my own life and the lives of others having access to 3D printers, it seems that the mere presence of a 3D printer, if that printer is used, becomes a center of creative thinking in an unparalleled way.

I have a passion for 3D printing because I have a passion for creativity and invention.  It's that simple.  I have always been in careers where I was surrounded by highly creative people doing highly creative things.  These include Dave Nutting, the designer of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Enstrom Helicopter and inventor of the electric pinball machine.  I was also fortunate to work for Nolan Bushnell, of Atari fame, as a consultant on a game system for Hasbro.  It was at Time-Life Software where I came to appreciate the importance of personalized space to the creative process.  It was a place of true renaissance people who I greatly admired.  Each office was different.  Some had rocking chairs.  Others had piles and piles of books in every nook and corner.  In short, it was a joy to be a part of such a wonderful team.

But, with all that background being with and around creative people and doing some creative things myself.  I have never felt so empowered to create as I have from the moment I owned my first 3D printer.  There is something about being able to turn abstract thoughts into actual physical reality that simply generates and unleashes new ideas ever more rapidly.

So, for many of us, any room into which we can install a 3D printer becomes a room full of ideas.

We see this same phenomenon with our cadets.  At first, they are simply curious.  But, soon, the biggest problem we have with them is that their minds are so full of ideas that they want to get right down to designing to the point of having to be reminded by the instructor that a lesson in more techniques is going on.

I believe, that for most children and adults, bringing a 3D printer into their lives will make the room in which the printer resides a place where new ideas are spawned and creativity is unleashed.

That is one reason why I wanted to focus on the Micro 3D Printer by M3D.  The small footprint means that it can fit on a child's desk or in the smallest of apartments.  It's quiet operation means that media centers can not only store a school's 3D printers; but, actually run them without disturbing library visitors.  And, the remarkable print quality means that users who understand 3D printing boundaries should not face frustration from poor prints.

Prior to the Micro, I've owned five different 3D printers.  I've always wanted to give one to my already creative granddaughters; but, none were small enough or quiet enough to be really suitable for their home.  The Micro 3D printer changes all that.  I can't wait to transform one of their rooms into an Idea Room by surprising them with a Micro! 

No comments:

Post a Comment