Sunday, January 1, 2017

Looking Forware to a Great M3D Pro Year!

2016 was a productive 3D year.  But, with the promise of the M3D Pro, this year promises to be even more productive.

But, that doesn't mean that I want the M3D Pro to be released until the developers are absolutely sure that it is ready for prime time.

That is because I lived through the premature release of the 3rd Gen Cube 3D printer.  The early days of its release forever ingrained in me that patience is a virtue when it comes to waiting for a product to be released.  The problems of early 3rd Gen Cube machines doomed the line and wasted a lot of time and energy on the part of users.  By the time they finally did get it right, it was too late.  And, frankly it was quite a nice 3D printer when all the kinks were ironed out.  Between my own and those in the 3D ThinkLink Lab, I am using 6 of them in active service

But, I do not have any doubt at all that the M3D team will not make the mistakes that dogged the Cube team.  They are too meticulous for that to happen.  And, from top to bottom they are user experienced focused.  They know that it is the user's daily experience that spells the success or failure of a 3d printing product.

Notice that I did not simply say that the M3D team was "User Focused".  I very specifically said they were "User Experience Focused".  There is a difference.

Every conversation I have with them and every communication I've read concerning the progress of the M3D Pro, tells me they understand that we, the users, want as close to a trouble-free working relationship with our 3D printer as humanly possible.  We simply want to print... not fool around with a printer.

Now, I'm not so naive as to think there will never be a need for user intervention with the M3D Pro.  After all, it IS a mechanical device.  But, the more meticulous the designers are in meeting their published goals, the less you and I will have to fiddle to finish a print.  And, that will be a first for me with any of the 3D printers i have owned or used... right on up to the professional full-color powder based printer we have in the lab.

CES

M3D will be at CES.  And, I am told to pay close attention to the news from Las Vegas.  I have no idea what it will be.  But, at the very least, we should see some major online media outlets provide some more insight into and information about the M3D Pro.  So, I'm going to keep my attenna up for any scrap of news that I can come by.

You can bet somebody will be grabbing the print head mid-build to see how well it recovers!

But, as impressive as that capability is, the real meat and potatoes I'm looking for is completely automatic leveling and gapping.  That means rock-solid reliability and I can't wait for that to be my experience with a 3D printer.

I have all the confidence in the world that the M3D team is going to deliver that in 2017.  And that is very exciting for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment